Sunday, October 10, 2010

NaNo Novel Summary and "Home"

Hey guess what!? NaNo's coming up! I am so excited about it this year. This will be my second time participating and I'm hoping for another win. Last years novel didn't come out so well for in my opinion. I'll probably never touch it again so I'm hoping the finished product this year is a little less cringe worthy.

As always, still don't have a title. That will probably not come around until I finish it. :( Oh well. This years is like Hell Boy meets Underworld. I think that's where the inspiration came from, but now I'm not really sure anymore. XD I got the idea some where around June. It's October now, gimme a break. Who wants a plot summary? You do, I know you do.

The main character is named Chris and she works for the Academy. Basically a school that trains students to defend the city from "Unnaturals", anything non-human. Chris was a Master, but when she is unable to kill a member of her team after he's infected by large wolf-like creatures called Runners, the Academy strips her of her rank and forces her to take on an apprentice, something she hasn't had for at least fifteen years.

Normally when something like this happens the member is executed. Allowing someone who's been infected creates havoc. The city has lived in harmony with the Unnaturals for years, lulling the city into a sense of peace. Many have come to believe the Academy is no longer necessary.

There hasn't been an outbreak of rouge's in a long time. (A Rogue is a human who's bitten and changes into a Runner. Normally they're outcasts from the clan.) The last time Chris was given an apprentice things didn't go so well and she refused to take on another. The Academy sees her as too much of an asset for her not to have an apprentice.

Aaaand, I'm not really sure where it goes from there. War perhaps? I think I'm going to have a nice body count this year.

This will be my third novel hopefully. If I can get the sequel to "Home" done soon that will make four. "Where It Ends", my NaNo novel last year, will never see daylight, but I'm hoping to have "Home" and it's sequel published.

Really bad photo of my proof copy of the first draft of "Home".

Updated cover. I don't have an actual copy of this yet.
No monies equals no book. :( I need to double check the manuscript and then see about getting a copy.  Oh, and someone introduced me to the awesomeness of Wordle. You copy the text from...anything, into it and it creates this awesome bubble of text showing you which words you've used the most in said text. Here's mine from "Home". 

I think they're a lot of fun.  Give it a try.  :)
http://www.wordle.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment